Office of the State’s Attorney for Baltimore City
The Office is seeking fill several, open entry-level Assistant State’s Attorney positions to work in our District Court division. It is within the District Court that our prosecutors begin learning critical case preparation skills and building trial skills through ongoing training and docket handling misdemeanor cases in court. District Court is the foundation block for obtaining the trial skills and case preparation skills necessary in moving through the office while handling progressively more complicated and serious cases in the elevated units.
Job Description: Entry-level prosecutors may be assigned all aspects of case preparation for incarcerable traffic dockets and criminal dockets. While in District Court, prosecutors are trained via classroom-style training as well as hands-on by calling dockets. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a commitment to serving the public and maintaining public safety through reaching fair and just outcomes in all cases. These positions are non-supervisory. Typical required duties and skills learned will include all aspects of preparing for and handling trials, including:
- Discovery preparation and compliance
- Witness and victim interviewing, preparation, managing court attendance
- Working with police and expert witnesses in interviewing and preparation, directing further investigation of cases, reviewing body-worn camera
- Reviewing cases for viability and sentencing recommendations
- Reviewing and obtaining evidence from BPD for trial
- Handling pre-trial motions including, but not limited to: 4th Amendment, 5th Amendment, Brady
- Conducting direct and cross examinations, opening and closing statements, lodging timely and appropriate trial objections
- Following criminal procedures issued by the Court
- Engaging in case reviews with trainers, peers and supervisory staff
- Attending office-wide trainings and presentations, researching relevant case law, preparing written memoranda
- Representing the State at all points of case progress through the court system, including hearings, pre-trial motions, bench trials, post-trial motions
Requirements: Candidate must possess a juris doctor degree and be licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. The ideal candidate will be highly organized, a team player and possess the ability to work in a high pressure environment.
This is a full-time position with up to two days each week telework available. This position is a local government public service position which may qualify for Federal Student Aid Public Service Loan Forgiveness.
Entry-Level Salary: $73,474+
Comprehensive benefits package: full range of health insurance provider options, vision insurance, dental insurance, deferred compensation option, life insurance, 10+ paid holidays per year, vacation leave, sick leave, and personal leave. Newly hired candidates are automatically enrolled in the City of Baltimore Employee Retirement Pension System.
Member employees may earn membership credits through transfer of service from other governmental agencies (including military service) toward retirement. The selected candidate will be required to submit to drug and alcohol testing, as well as a criminal background check, before starting employment.
To Apply: Applicants should email a cover letter, writing sample and resume to email@example.com with a subject line reference of “Entry-Level Prosecutor”. Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis. Positions remain open until filled.
THE OFFICE OF THE STATE’S ATTORNEY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER