Multi-Jurisdictional Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney (MJACA)
Arlington County and the City of Falls Church, VA
Commonwealth’s Attorney Parisa Dehghani-Tafti is seeking a Multi-Jurisdictional Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney (MJACA) to prosecute insurance fraud cases throughout the Northern Virginia area. The employee works primarily with agents of the Virginia State Police to screen, develop, and charge cases involving insurance fraud and related crimes.
Salary is $97,052 and negotiable based on experience. Flexibility provided for teleworking along with VRS, medical/dental, and other benefits.
Specific duties include:
- Making appearances in the General District and Circuit Courts of Arlington County, the City of Alexandria, Fairfax County, Loudoun County, and Prince William County to prosecute felony and insurance fraud related crimes;
- Serving as liaison among the offices of the Northern Virginia Commonwealth’s Attorneys and the Virginia State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigations (BCI) on insurance fraud investigations and prosecutions;
- Advising BCI agents on issues arising during insurance fraud investigations;
- Managing an assigned caseload and overseeing all aspects of the criminal prosecution, case law, reviewing pertinent police and forensic reports, considering alternative and/or additional charges, arguing pre-trial motions, and negotiating plea agreements;
- Drafting pleadings, indictments, briefs, and memoranda; and
- Conducting insurance fraud investigations through the Northern Virginia Multi-Jurisdictional Grand Jury where appropriate.
The position requires strong interpersonal skills; the ability to organize, interpret, and apply legal principles, and to analyze and address complex legal problems using sound professional judgement; as well as excellent research and writing skills.
A JD from an accredited college or university is required and three years of progressively responsible experience as a practicing trial attorney, including complex felony trials. Must be an active member in good standing of the Virginia State Bar. Familiarity with local procedures and policies in Northern Virginia courts is desirable.
Successful completion of a background check is required. This is an at-will position that serves at the pleasure of the Commonwealth’s Attorney.
If interested in being considered for this position, please email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to the Office Administrator, Laura Saul Edwards, at CWA_Info@arlingtonva.us.