Arlington County and the City of Falls Church, VA
Multiple Positions Open
Commonwealth’s Attorney Parisa Dehghani-Tafti is seeking prosecutors dedicated to public service, public safety, and justice to join her team. The Office is committed to transformative justice in the promotion of evidence-based diversion programs, racial justice, and victim services. Working in a major metropolitan area provides ample opportunities for collaboration, discussion, and comradery. The crimes prosecuted range from DUI to aggravated assaults, complex fraud investigations, rapes, and murders. The office is responsible for adult and juvenile prosecutions.
Salary is negotiable based on experience. Starting salaries are $76,107 (ACA I), $97,052 (ACA II), and $111, 945 (ACA III). Flexibility for teleworking, “Live Where You Work” rental and home purchasing assistance, VRS, medical/dental, and other benefits.
Candidates must have a JD from an accredited college or university, be licensed to practice in Virginia, and be a Member in Good Standing of the Virginia State Bar.
The ideal candidate will have the reading comprehension and writing, speaking, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills to successfully handle a prosecutor’s workload. Knowledge of Virginia law, rules of evidence, court rules and procedures, and U.S. Supreme Court rulings regarding criminal law and procedure is required. Experience prosecuting complex felony trials is helpful for an ACA I and required for an ACA II and ACA III.
The main duties for all positions include:
- Preparing for and prosecuting misdemeanor and felony cases;
- Identifying cases for diversion programs and specialty courts;
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with multiple law enforcement agencies, the community, and non-profit organizations;
- Preparing and proving discovery;
- Reviewing and redacting body worn camera (BWC) footage;
- Preparing and arguing bond motions;
- Researching, preparing, and litigating pre-trial motions;
- Conducting preliminary hearings;
- Negotiating case dispositions; and
- Collateral duties as assigned.
Successful completion of a background check is required. These are at-will positions that serve at the pleasure of the Commonwealth’s Attorney.
If interested in being considered for a position, please email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to the Office Administrator, Laura Saul Edwards, at CWA_Info@arlingtonva.us.