Seeking a Staff Attorney to work within our General Counsel’s office to elevate practical strategies to enhance the effectiveness of prosecutors in their efforts to promote community safety and well-being, and advance equity and justice.
We are a national non-profit association dedicated to enhancing prosecutorial excellence. We act as a global forum for the exchange of ideas, serve as an advocate for prosecutors on emerging issues, and support evidence-informed prosecutorial practices that prevent crime and ensure equal justice.
The Staff Attorney will be responsible for driving multiple national field-led initiatives together with Executive staff and Project Managers. Project management includes authoring / editing association publications and resources for the field, leading the development of and preparation for national prosecution conferences, advisory committees, site-visits, and webinars, and collaborating with multiple national organizations and funders. We strongly encourage people impacted by the justice system and those with diverse backgrounds to apply.
Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Assist General Counsel staff with project deliverables;
- Conduct research requested by Executive staff and Project Managers;
- Develop grant applications and manage grants as opportunities arise;
- Respond to technical assistance requests;
- Conduct webinars;
- Read and fact-check potential Amicus briefs, policy statements, etc. and make recommendations for Association endorsement;
- Represent the organization at state and national conferences, trainings, and meetings;
- Assist with content development and social media presence.
Requirements & Success Characteristics:
- Must possess a J.D. and be in good standing of a State or Federal Bar
- Candidate should have 1 ½+ years of experience as a practicing Attorney
- Experience working in a prosecutor’s office strongly preferred
- Non-profit policy and training experience preferred
- Proficient with MS Office – Word, Excel, Power Point
- Familiarity with social media management platforms such as Hootsuite, and CMS like WordPress or Wix, a plus!
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong writing, research and analytical skills;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills;
- A high level of personal integrity and initiative;
- Strong communication and group leadership skills;
- The ability to work independently and under tight time constraints;
- The ability to work well with people of diverse educational, cultural and professional backgrounds.
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience starting at $75k.
APA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. APA is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.