Staff Attorney Job Description
The Association of Prosecuting Attorneys (APA) is a national nonprofit association dedicated to supporting and enhancing the effectiveness of prosecutors in their efforts to create safer communities. At APA, we support evidence-informed prosecutorial practices that prevent crime, ensure equal justice, and ultimately make communities safer.
APA is seeking a Staff Attorney who will work within the General Counsel’s office and alongside the executive staff and other attorneys and project staff. The ideal candidate will be proficient with basic computer applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), be highly organized and an independent worker. The Staff Attorney will be responsible for conducting research requested by executive staff and project managers and assisting with any projects as necessary. Project assistance may include authoring and editing association publications and newsletters, preparing materials for national prosecution conferences, advisory committees, and site-visits and webinars. Other duties may include drafting documents, fulfilling technical assistance requests, and representing the Association in national meetings of allied criminal justice partners. Candidates who demonstrate familiarity with social media management platforms, such as Hootsuite, and blogging content management systems like WordPress, Wix, etc. will be considered favorably. We strongly encourage people impacted by the justice system and those with diverse backgrounds to apply.
APA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. APA is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
- Assist General Counsel staff with project deliverables
- Develop grant applications and manage grants as opportunities arise
- Respond to technical assistance requests
- Conduct webinars
- Read and fact-check potential Amicus briefs, policy statements, etc. and make recommendations for Association endorsement
- Represent APA at state and national conferences, trainings, and meetings
- Assist with content development and social media presence
- Applicant must possess a J.D. and be in good standing of a state or federal Bar
- Candidate should have one and a half (1 ½ ) years experience as a practicing attorney and preferred candidates will have experience working in a prosecutor’s office
- Strong writing, research and analytical skills; strong communication and group leadership skills
- Ability to work independently and under tight time constraints
- Ability to work well with people of diverse educational, cultural and professional backgrounds
- Non-profit, policy and training experience preferred
The position is based in our main office located in Washington, D.C.; Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, we are working remotely at this time. The Staff Attorney will be expected to work in the office when it is safe to do so.
Salary and Benefits:
Full health benefits with 401(k) retirement plan with a competitive salary based upon experience.
Please send a cover letter, resume and writing sample to HumanResources@APAInc.org.