Maricopa County Attorney’s Office:
Deputy County Attorneys
OPENING DATE: 03/23/16
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
DEPARTMENT: County Attorney
JOB TYPE: Classified/Full-Time
LOCATION: Phoenix,85003, Arizona
SALARY: $61,484.80 – $126,339.20 Annually
POSITION OVERVIEW: PLEASE NOTE: All those who begin work in a position in the Classified service on or after November 30, 2015 will be required to serve a 12 month initial probation period (at-will). This includes all external and internal applicants.
***Successful applicants will be compensated at a salary rate equivalent to 95% of the range determined to be appropriate based on applicable experience. A 5% increase will be awarded upon successful completion of probation.***
This recruitment will be used to fill Attorney vacancies in various divisions throughout the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office. Entry-Level and experienced Attorneys are encouraged to apply.
- Minimum Education and/or Experience:
- Must possess a Juris Doctorate degree from an ABA accredited law school.
- Depending on assignment, some positions may require prosecution experience in a specific subject matter.
- Specialized Training, Certifications, or Other Special Requirements:
- Must possess or have the ability to obtain a valid Arizona driver’s license at time of hire.
- Must be admitted to practice law and be in good standing with the State Bar of Arizona at time of application.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must have knowledge of and the ability to apply laws, court decisions, and rules of evidence and procedure to individual issues. Must have ability to present and argue cases in court, as well as, the ability to handle unanticipated problems effectively.
- Must have ability to conduct timely and thorough legal research.
- Must be skilled in communicating effectively with victims, witnesses, judges, other agencies and members of the public, both individually or in a group setting.
- Must have ability to draft clear, concise, and organized legal correspondence, memoranda, documents, and pleadings.
- Must be skilled in interviewing witnesses to obtain facts regarding cases.
- Must have the ability to develop and act on sound legal strategies.
- Must have the ability to organize facts, evidence, and legal support to appropriately analyze cases and present material in a clear and logical manner.
- Must have the ability to maintain professional relationships with co-workers, victims, witnesses, law enforcement agencies, and members of the community.
- Must have the ability to effectively and efficiently reach the just resolution of assigned cases in compliance with Victims’ Rights.
- Must have the ability to use technology in the office for daily duties and in court during litigation.
- Preferred Education and/or Experience: Preference may be given to those with prosecution experience.
NOTE: The Maricopa County Attorney’s Office requires a thorough background check of all successful candidates and is authorized to test prospective employees for the presence of illegally accessed drugs. Drug testing is conducted once an offer has been extended but prior to placement.
ESSENTIAL JOB TASKS: Effectively and efficiently reach the just resolution of assigned cases and comply with Victims’ Rights. Maintain professional relationships with victims, witnesses, law enforcement agencies, and members of the community. Discuss and present analysis of legal issues. Conduct trials and present oral arguments as needed. Compose memoranda and pleadings regarding legal issues of concern as needed in assigned cases. Interview witnesses regarding facts as needed in prosecution of the case(s). Research and analyze legal issues using both computerized legal research and hard copy tools. Cover court and other duties as assigned. Comply with all rules regulating professional responsibility, including specific rules addressing the prosecutorial function.
SELECTION PROCEDURE: The Maricopa County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the exam process only those candidates considered to be the most highly qualified. Those selected will be scored based on evaluation of listed education and experience. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a pool provided by Human Resources.
APPLICATIONS MAY ONLY BE FILED ONLINE AT: https://jobs.maricopa.gov
OUR OFFICE IS LOCATED AT: 301 W Jefferson Suite 200 Phoenix, AZ 85003 602-506-3755 (staffed Mon-Fri, 8am – 5pm MST, excluding holidays) email@example.com
Job #190ATTY032116 ATTORNEY – PROSECUTION HB
It is the policy of Maricopa County not to discriminate in employment or the provision of services. Maricopa County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide reasonable accommodation in the application and/or testing process to eligible individuals requesting assistance under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.
Office of the Special Prosecutor, Republic of Palau:
The Office of the Special Prosecutor (OSP) is an agency in the Republic of Palau (approximately 600 miles east of the Philippines) that is charged with prosecuting cases that present a conflict of interest for the Office of the Attorney General, with a focus on prosecuting politically exposed persons. The OSP is currently seeking a qualified attorney to join the office as an Assistant Prosecutor. Qualified candidates will have a J.D. from an ABA accredited law school and be active members of the bar (any U.S. jurisdiction). The position requires a commitment for a two year contract term. Attorneys licensed in the United States or its territories are exempted from taking the Palau Bar exam for the first 4 years of government service.
The ideal candidate will have a strong academic background and the demonstrated ability to produce high quality written work. Moreover, a successful candidate must be able to work effectively with a diverse team and be able to analyze complex legal issues. A background in criminal law is preferred with a focus on public integrity cases and white collar crime. Experience living abroad is helpful but not required.
The Republic of Palau is renowned for its outdoor life; there is excellent scuba diving, kayaking, hiking, and snorkeling which are all readily accessible. Please keep in mind that moving to Palau requires flexibility in dealing with limited infrastructure and communications capabilities. However, one of the great benefits of the living in the area is the ability to access the broader region considering Palau has regular air service to the Philippines, Guam, China, and Japan. If offered a position, your travel from point of recruitment to Palau will be covered. Some moving expenses will also be included in the contract on a reimbursement basis. Contract Salary will be in the range of $50,000.00 per year plus a housing allowance of $1000.00 per month. Salary may be increased with promotion.
Applications will be accepted beginning April 20, 2016 until the position is filled.
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and writing sample in PDF format to: Steven M. Killelea, Acting Interim Special Prosecutor, OSP@Palaunet.com. Due to internet challenges, please also copy firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also be prepared to submit references.